Shelter Help – Step 2 – Submit A New Listing
Suggestion: A Quick Read Through of these instructions will make the process MUCH easier !
Be Mindful of the Big Blue Buttons! Nothing happens until you click a Big Blue Button. Whether you are trying to Log In, Submit A Listing, Update a Listing, Submit an Event Listing for Review, Update your Profite (for a Password Change or Email Address), or any change, you must click a button for it to “take.” If you leave a page without doing so, your work will disappear, never to be accessed again. So look for them. They may be at the bottom of the page. Or you may have to scroll back to the top and to the right side of the Publish column. We didn’t design it – that’s just the way it works.
Here’s an example of what some look like.
If you need help at any time, please Contact Us! Give us time to respond, but so far, we’ve been keeping up with getting back to people within 24 hours.
The second and final step is after registration is a bit more time-consuming. We suggest having a few items available. Access to the following if you have them or sketch them out on paper first: your website, facebook, petfinder (or adoptables page with adopt-a-pet) url (web) address; your email address; your mission statement; your mailing and physical address information; your vet’s name and address; a few words, at the least, about your shelter, and its goals to give visitors some information about your organization. Remember, you CAN come back in and add or adjust later! But some data is required to proceed.
1. If you are not already logged on, you must log onto the site. Use the Submit Your Shelter After Registering link shown in the footer on almost every page on the site. If you need information on the process, please visit Log In, Edit Your Pofile, Passwords for details.
2. After Log In you arrive at the Dashboard. The following is very similar to what you will see.
3. Click on the left black bar on “Directory.” You will see a list of the other shelters. Don’t worry, you cannot “do” anything but look at their public information.
4. Next click on the top black bar where it says “Add New Listing.” Immediately a new screen will show up.
5. This screen allows you to select the location for your shetler. Please use the following depending upon your location:
Australia – Ferret Shelters Australia
Canada – Select your province only!
United Kingdom – Ferret Shetlers – England/United Kingdom
United States – Select your state only!
All Other Countries – Ferret Shelters – All Other Countries
6. Click Continue and then you will arrive at the questionnaire screen. Due to it’s size, this is best viewed as a PDF file.
7. This is the an example of the blank Questionnaire before any data has been entered.
8. This is a sample of the Questionnaire with sample data and comments to help guide you in entering your shelter’s specific information.
9. Do not concern yourself with any typos – you will have an opportunity to edit them. Also the admins will be reviewing them. These do not go live until reviewed!
10. Then click the grey “Continue” button. The next screen to arrive will be this next one.
Our suggestion is NOT TO ADD any more images here at this time. It just tends to bog down the system. Also images seem to be placed in random order. They can be added in a second session or after an admin has published your listing. We are working to resolve the issue.
Log-out by mousing over your “username” in the upper right corner of the top black bar to the right of Howdy, and clicking Log Out.
Listings do not go live to the site until they are approved by one of the Ferret Shelters Directory volunteers. This is to avoid spam listings.
NOTE: Small, private shelters DO NOT HAVE TO PUBLISH A STREET ADDRESS! You can choose to insert a PO Box or just use a city/state. We recognize the potential pitfalls and respect you may choose to maintain confidentiality to avoid surprise drop-offs. Therefore, that information is strictly voluntary. However, we require that you provide this information for our records and for the search engine to function properly even though an address will not be published to the internet. This is why the questions appear to be repetitive. Some fields are Private fields – others are Published fields – all are identified throughout the form.
For Ferret only shelters: You may submit a listing and NOT HAVE ANY INFORMATION PUBLISHED AT ALL!. There is one question that asks you to specify that you do not want your listing published. You will be asked to confirm that request by email. If you make this choice, the information you provide will be used strictly to provide your shelter information to Support Our Shelters and Ferret Emergency, Rescue, Response & Evacuation Team. You will also be added to the directory database for informational updates and to provide you with emergency ferret information. However, your shelter information will NOT BE PUBLISHED to the ferretshelters.org directory nor will it be searchable on the directory site. Your information will be kept confidential.
Your submitted listing will be reviewed by a volunteer and will go live usually within 24 to 72 hours. At the same time as your listing is published, you will be given the ability to edit your listing and publish those edits or make adjustments to your listing. If any additional information or clarification is required you will receive an email usually within 72 hours. Please check your spam filter or Contact Us if you have not heard back in that time frame or if your listing is not live within that time frame. While rare, sometimes emails do not make it through on the internet. If you need help making a change Contact Us,
Upon verfication and/or clarification your listing will be approved and will go “live” and you will have access to the “back-end” of the site so you can maintain and edit your listing as needed in the future. Should you ever need assistance one of our volunteers will be happy to provide help via the Contact Us form.
You will be asked to verify your listing at least annually – and possibly every 6 months – to ensure the information is up to date and that we maintain the integrity of the directory.