Ferret Shelter Forum Solicitation
Following up on last years initial survery, FACT is starting to plan the first ever Ferret Shelter Forum for late summer 2016. It is aimed at those who accept and adopt out ferrets. In addition to ferret-only shelters, we plan to open attendance to multi-species humane groups to broaden our reach. Here is the preliminary plan:
Timing: Over a late summer weekend. We believe end of summer is a quieter time for most shelters; giving us time to pull this together and time to practice. We need to lock in our dates within the next 7 days.
Format: A flexible mix of presentations and panel discussions on shelter operations and ferret-focused topics. Participants can attend all or selected sessions.
Venue: A state-of-the-art non-profit center in Hartford, CT with video-streaming capability. Formal presentations can be attended by participants around the country listening in via Skype. A limited number (about 25) of off-site attendees can listen in and participate in video-streamed round-table discussions via computer or cell phone by downloading a free app.
Topics: adoption screening; shelter set-up & housing; non-profit basics; financial issues (working with vets, finding discounted supplies); fund-raising; ?
Vendors: There is adequate space in the non-profit center for a vendor area.
Accommodations/Travel: There is a pet-friendly Motel 6 about 5 miles away. We have a grant from Petco Foundation and anticipate being able to provide some financial assistance for travel.
Tentative Schedule: Friday night reception for early arrivals; Sat 9 to 5 workshops; Sat eve networking event at Ferret Assn shelter; Sun 9 to noon – Round-table discussions.
Funding: The Shelter Forum will be primarily funded by the Ferret Association as part of our ongoing mission to provide technical assistance to others helping ferrets. During our spring fundraising efforts, we’ll be asking individual donors to help and will be launching a crowdfunding campaign. We hope to keep attendance fees as low as possible, dependent upon what funds can be raised to offset costs from within the ferret community.
What We Need From YOU By Thursday, February 4th!
- Your vote on the date. Please indicate what date/s are impossible for you, as our speakers will, of necessity, determine the final dates. You can respond with 1st/2nd choices or “Any” response will also be helpful!Date options are:
- Aug. 20-21
- Aug 27-28
- Sep 3-4 (Labor Day weekend)
- Sep 10-11
- Sep 17-18
- Volunteer As a Speaker & Your Area/s of Interest – clearly you need to be willing to travel to Hartford, CT to attend.
- Do you have access to any of the following?
- Google Hangouts
- Committee Volunteer Interests – You don’t have to attend to participate!
- Topic & Speaker Selection
- Soliciting Sponsorships/Donations/Vendors
- Publicity – planning and executing!
- Printing Material/Handouts/Goodie Bags
- Registration, Confirmations
- Coordinating Rooms, Roommates/Travel
- Please email your responses to: LVGruden@FerretAssn.Org by February 7th.
Your participation will help more ferrets than we can each individually assist. THANK YOU for helping make this first ever Ferret Shelter Forum a success!!